- Academic Writing
- Copy Writing
- Résumés and Cover Letters
- Application Essays/Personal Statements
- Business Writing
- Technical Writing
- Web Copy, Marketing, and SEO
- Blog Writing
- Creative Writing
- Developmental Editing
- Copy Editing
Fields and Disciplines
- Project Management
- Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning
- Public Relations
- Education policy and leadership
- Academic writing, dissertations and theses, and peer-reviewed articles
- Psychology and sociology
- Political science
- Theology and religious studies
- Education and Online Learning
- International Studies
Instructional Design Skills
- Course Design and Development
- Creation of Learning Outcomes
- Assessment and Rubric Creation
- Storyboarding and Scripts
|Type of Work||Pace (pages per hour)||Rate|
|Editing, light copyediting||6–10 pph||$40/hour|
|Editing, medium copyediting||3–6 pph||$50/hour|
|Editing, heavy copyediting||1–3 pph||$60/hour|
|Editing, website copyediting||3 pph||$70/hour|
|Editing, developmental||1–5 pph||$95/hour|
|Writing, any||1–3 pph||$70/hour|
- Correcting faulty spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Correcting incorrect usage.
- Checking cross-references.
- Ensuring consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization.
- Checking for proper sequencing (such as alphabetical order) in lists and other displayed material.
- Recording the first references to figures, tables, and other display elements.
A light copyedit does not involve interventions such as smoothing transitions, changing heads or text to ensure parallel structure.
- Performing all tasks for light copyediting.
- Changing text & headings to achieve parallel structure.
- Flagging inappropriate figures of speech.
- Ensuring that terms are handled consistently.
- Ensuring that previews, summaries, and end-of-chapter questions reflect content.
- Tracking the continuity of plot, setting, and character traits, and querying/marking the discrepancies, in fiction manuscripts.
- Enforcing consistent style and tone in a multi-author manuscript.
- Changing passive voice to active voice, if requested.
- Performing all tasks for medium copyediting.
- Eliminating wordiness, triteness, and inappropriate jargon.
- Smoothing transitions and moving sentences to improve readability.
- Assigning new levels to heads to achieve logical structure.
- Suggesting—and sometimes implementing, depending on request—additions and deletions, noting them at the sentence and paragraph level.
Send an email with your first and last name and a message explaining what kind of services you need to
hireme [at] kelsiemcwilliams [dot] com